Miriam G. Simmons is a Professional Registered Parliamentarian. This is a credential offered by the National Association of Parliamentarians and it means that a person has been tested in the understanding and use of Robert’s Rules of Order. Miriam is the immediate past Chair of a community foundation in Stillwater, Minnesota and she is/has been a director on both small and large boards of non-profit organizations. She has held positions as Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, Bylaws Chair, and Program Chair with various organizations. She is retired from running a business in the technical sector and is a retired Patent Agent. Her parliamentary experience includes revision and amendment of bylaws, running meetings, helping people have better meetings, and teaching people what to do to be effective during a meeting.
is to provide parliamentary services to clients in the non-profit sector. To assist with writing and revision of bylaws and the running of efficient meetings. To provide educational programs to help understand and to use Robert’s Rules of Order.
National Association of Parliamentarians (NAP)
- Professional Registered Parliamentarian, October 2017 and Registered Parliamentarian, April 2017
- Chair, Bylaws Committee, Minnesota State Association of Parliamentarians (MSAP), 2016 and 2017
- Vice President and Convention Chair, MSAP, May 2018 to April 2020
- President, St. Paul Unit (SPU) 2019
- Vice President, SPU, 2017 and 2018
- Secretary, SPU, 2015 and 2016
League of Women Voters Minnesota (LWVMN)
- Board member and Secretary, April 28, 2019 to present
- Chair, Bylaws Committee, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019
- Co-editor of the Briefing Paper: The Impact of Neonicotinoids on Honey Bees, published 2016
- Co-author of the Briefing Paper: Election Law: Absentee Ballots, published 2010
- Nominating Committee member, 2009-2011
- Co-Chair, Judicial Study Committee, 2007
- Board member, 2001 to 2007
- Nominating committee member, 2005-2007
Stillwater Area Community Foundation
- Chair, September 2017 to September 2019; Secretary, October 2015 – September 2017
- Board Member, 2014 – present
- Preparation of opinions related to board governance; board structure; executive committee compliance; annual meeting elections; amendment of bylaws; and amendment of previously adopted motions.
- Preparation and presentation of Bylaws Amendments (SPU, MSAP, LWVMN) and Bylaws Revision (LWVMN, 2013 and 2019)
- Preparation of scripts for state conventions of LWVMN (2013, 2015, 2017 and 2019)
- Preparation and presentation of parliamentary procedure tailored to an organization (e.g.: LWV Minnesota, fall workshops 2019; LWV-St. Paul, January 2017; LWV-Duluth, August 2015; LWVMN Council, April 2014)
- Preparation and presentation of seminars on “Annual Meeting” at MSAP Fall Seminar, October 3, 2015; “Previous Question” at MSAP Convention, May 6, 2017; and “Take from the Table” at MSAP Fall Seminar, October 5, 2019.
- Preparation and presentation of seminar on “How to Run a Meeting with Robert’s Rules of Order”, Parts 1 and 2, Stillwater Community Education, 2018.
Education and Experience
- C.E.O, Delta Technologies Ltd., 1986 – 2011
- Sr. Chemist/Sr. Patent Liaison, 3M Company, 1981 – 1996
- Registered Patent Agent, 1990
- Ph.D., Chemistry, Rice University, Houston, Texas (1974 – 1978)
- B.S., Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan (1970 – 1974)